As we are coming into winter, it is important to check the safety of any electrical items that may be used throughout winter including electric blankets, portable heaters and smoke alarms.
Below are a few simple steps you can perform to ensure your appliances are safe to use this winter:
1. Check that all power cords and plugs on electric heaters are in working condition
2. When upgrading your heater, choose one that has an automatic switch off if tipped over or if it overheats
3. Ensure a minimum of 1 metre distance between any object and a heater
4. Never run heater extension cords under carpets or rugs
5. Avoid piggybacking any double adapters or power boards
6. Check the condition of all electric blankets including ensuring their cords and plugs are not frayed and the blanket has not been recalled
7. Don't put heavy items such as bags on top of beds when electric blankets are on
8. Ensure there are an adequate number of smoke alarms throughout your home
9. Change the battery in every smoke alarms at least once a year and test them every year to ensure they are working properly
10. Check all outlets throughout your house and ensure they are not overloaded with multiple cords
11. Flick your ceiling fans from summer to winter setting
Bonus tip: Remember to check cords and plugs on any summer appliances such as portable fans before putting them back into storage.
Have a safe and warm winter!