As we are coming into winter, some appliances are getting more of a workout than they've had for a while. It is important to check on all your winter electrical items and any summer items that you are putting into storage.
Below are a few simple steps you can perform to ensure your appliances are safe to use this winter:
1. Check that all power cords and plugs on electric heaters are in working condition
2. When upgrading your heater, choose one that has an automatic switch off if tipped over or if it overheats
3. Ensure a minimum of 1 metre distance between any object and a heater
4. Never run heater extension cords under carpets or rugs
5. Avoid doubling up any double adapters or power boards
6. Check the condition of all electric blankets including ensuring their cords and plugs are not frayed and the blanket has not been recalled
7. Don't put heavy items such as bags on top of beds when electric blankets are on
8. Ensure there are an adequate number of smoke alarms throughout your home
9. Change the battery in every smoke alarms at least once a year and test them every year to ensure they are working properly
10. Flick your ceiling fans from summer to winter setting
11. Check all outlets throughout your house, ensuring they are not overloaded with multiple cords
Stay safe and warm this winter!